Poker Card Games
The poker game has a very long history in the gambling world. Some researches show that it has been around since the 16th century, and the advancements in technology haven’t stopped it from being the most popular gambling game.
Nowadays, the online gambling world is so widespread that players can find all types of poker card games at every gambling site.
If you are a newbie in the online casino world, then learning the different poker games can seem a bit overwhelming.
That is where we at BestPoker come in. There are dozens of different poker variants, some more popular than others, but it doesn’t hurt to know them all.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the most popular poker games you can play for real money along with some that you might not have even heard of.
How Many Types of Poker are There?
As mentioned above, there are different types of poker game variants that you can try out at reputable online gambling sites.
Moreover, there are all sorts of classifications under which the vast majority of poker games fall into. As such, we can differentiate between:
- Draw poker – you get a poker hand that is hidden from your opponents and you can improve it by replacing certain cards
- Stud Poker – a combination of hidden and shown cards
- Community poker – you get hidden cards and use them in combination with community cards
Up next, most poker games can also be classified as:
- Lowball – the lowest hand wins the pot
- High-low split – more complicated types of poker games where the pot is divided between the player with the highest and the lowest hand
There are also poker classifications depending on the betting structure or betting limit. As such, we can classify poker games into the following categories:
- Fixed limit – there are fixed amounts on how much players can wager and raise
- No limit – on the opposite, here you might only see a limit in terms of the minimum bet you can make
- Pot limit – these games limit your bets and raise in terms of the total number of chips in the pot at the time you are about to bet or raise
Finally, we need to mention one last differentiation of poker games in terms of the number of players allowed on the poker table:
- Full ring – the maximum amount of the different online poker rooms and tables is filled
- Shorthanded – there is a limit on the number of punters that can participate in the game
- Heads up – only two players are allowed to play against each other
List of Poker Variations
Now, let’s dive into the fun part of this article. We at BestPoker.com have made thorough research on the different poker variants you can try online.
All new players in the poker world can take a look at the list below and decide which poker game is the right one to match their taste.
There is arguably no person in the world that hasn’t heard of Texas Holdem, so we can safely say that it is the most popular poker game at the moment.
One of the reasons why punters love Texas Hold em is its simplicity. To get started with this exciting variant, you need to get familiar with the following rules:
- Every player that participates will get two hole cards, so no one else will see them
- Then, the dealer will spread five additional cards, but not at once. Three will be spread at once, then two rounds of one card each. Should you get to the final betting round, you can use all the cards on the table to make the best possible five-card hand
- Before and after cards are revealed, betting rounds will take place
- In the end, the best poker hand will win the pot
As you can see, Texas Hold em is a pretty simple game to learn. However, you can make your own winning strategy and the winning potential of the game can be huge.
Omaha poker has become one of the most played poker variants in the past 10 years. Some would even say that Omaha is close to surpassing Texas Hold’em as the most popular poker game.
The basics of Omaha poker are similar to Texas Hold’em, so this game is ideal to describe next. There are different sub-variants of Omaha, but the two most popular types are:
- Pot limit Omaha
- Omaha hi-low
As for the rules of the game, you need to get familiar with the multiple betting rounds
- Pre-flop – the first betting round where you need to bet, call, fold or raise
- Flop – the second betting round, where you decide how to act according to the community card
- Turn – one more community card is dealt and it is the third betting round
- River – the final card is dealt and this is the last betting round
- Showdown – everyone needs to show their cards
Finally, remember that the same poker hand ranks apply in Omaha as Texas Hold’em.
Stud games are also one of the older poker card games in the world. Up until recently, five-card stud was the most widespread, but nowadays, seven-card stud is taking over the realm.
There is a number of stud poker variants, but in each of them, you get a set of face-up and face-down cards in several betting rounds.
Stud games are also known to be non-positional, so the order in which players bet can change during the rounds.
Seven Card Stud
To begin with, you will be dealt two face-down cards (hole cards) and a third that is face-up (door card). Now, you need to decide whether to continue wagering or fold. As is the case with other poker games, the starting hand selection is very important in seven card stud, and you can create your poker strategies based on it.
As the name suggests, you will get seven cards in total – three face down and four face up. Based on the seven cards, you need to make the best possible five-card combination.
Card rankings in this poker variant are the same as when you play Texas Hold’em and Omaha, so you have nothing new to memorize.
The next poker game on our list is Russian poker. One striking difference with other poker card games is that here you play against the dealer, not other players.
At the start of the Russian poker game, you will need to place your ante bet. Straight after that, you will get five hole cards, with the dealer also taking five cards for themselves. One of their cards is left exposed.
Once you get your initial set of cards, you will have the following options at your disposal:
- Fold – give up your hand
- Bet – place a bet that is twice the size of the ante
- Buy a card – an interesting option where you can buy a card for an equal amount of the ante bet
- Draw new cards – you can leave your five cards and get new ones from the dealer. The price for this is the same as the ante bet
As you can see, Russian poker differs a bit from other popular poker games. Depending on your strategy, it can be a bit more expensive to play as well.
3 Card Poker
Unlike other poker games, this poker variant required players to make the best possible poker hands with just three cards.
Playing the game is pretty straightforward:
- You need to place an ante wager and/or a pair plus wager, meaning that you will have a hand of at least a pair or better
- Then, three cards are dealt in the first round to players and the dealer. Remember that you play the dealer, not other players
- Now, you determine whether to play against the dealer’s hand or not
- If you fold, the dealer gets your ante and pair plus wagers
- If you play, your cards will be turned over to determine whether you have a better hand
5 Card Draw
Five card draw is one of the most common poker game variants you can play at online gambling sites.
As the name itself suggests, you will be dealt five cards and the first round of betting can begin. You can decide to discard up to 3 cards. An exception is if players have wild cards or aces as their last cards.
The second round of betting now begins, with the cards being revealed now. Of course, the highest poker hand wins the entire pot.
Video poker has plenty of variants, but the rules of it circulate around one of the simple poker games – a five-card draw.
This means that you will get five cards first. You can choose to keep the cards you want and discard the ones you don’t like, getting new ones in their place. After that, you will get the final hand.
A simple guide to playing video poker would be the following:
- Make your first deposit for the game
- Make your bet
- Hit the deal button to get your first five cards
- Discard pile you don’t want to keep
- Get a replacement for those cards
- Hopefully, secure a win
Playing this game of poker on mobile is also an option, with some saying that video poker looks even better on a small mobile screen.
The gameplay of Pineapple poker games is the same as Texas Hold’em, but there is a slight difference in the set-up:
- Pre-flop – players get three-hole cards, not two
- Players can discard one of the cards before the first betting round begins
However, in Crazy Pineapple, you get to keep your first card for the first round of betting. Only before the turn is dealt do you need to take one card away.
Wild Card Poker Games
Continuing with our list, we have poker games that use wild cards. A wild card is simply a card that can be used to replace another card that the player needs to make a good poker hand.
Of course, thanks to the wild card, you can make higher-ranking hands and the game becomes more exciting. More often, a joker will act as the wild card, but sometimes deuces can be declared as wild, depending on the poker variant.
There are different rules on how to play poker online, so you are well-covered even with wild card poker games.
Finally, we have Chinese Poker, a very interesting and popular poker cash game. In this game, you play against other players for the entire stack of chips that you all have. The chip stack is more commonly referred to as table stakes.
Your entire stack of chips will be up against other players, with the objective being to form three hands, commonly referred to as segments:
- a five-card back hand – needs to be better than your middle and front hand
- five-card middle hand – needs to be better than the front, but lower than the back hand
- three card front hand – needs to be lower than the above-mentioned hands
These hands need to rank better than other players for you to secure a win.
Which Poker Game is the Easiest for Beginners?
Now that you have learned all the basic rules about different poker variants, you might be wondering which is the best game to get started.
If you are new to poker, you will be forgiven for feeling overwhelmed with the choice you have. There are just too many poker variants to choose from, unlike a couple of decades ago.
With the expansion of online casinos and poker card games’ popularity, there are tons of poker versions to choose from. Moreover, you can even try out free poker online to practice common rules and strategies.
As a newbie, you always want to start off with easy poker card games to improve your chances of securing a win.
Getting early wins in your gaming adventure can boost your confidence to continue playing even more variations of poker. So, which one of our poker games list is the simplest one for you to get started?
In that line, everyone at BestPoker is confident that the best way for you to start your poker gaming adventure is by playing No-Limit Texas Hold’em.
Texas Hold em is generally the most played poker game online, and it is easy to see why. All Texas Hold’em variants have the same general rules.
You will begin with two face-down cards, and the goal at the end is to get the best possible five-card hand with any combination of your and the community cards.
The community cards are known as the flop, turn and the river, with each Hold’em variant starting with a pre-flop wagering round.
One big difference between No-Limit Hold’em and other variants is the betting structure. As the name suggests, here you can put all your chips in the pot at any time you see fit, which is known as going all in. Going all in can also be called a push, shove, jam and a few other poker lingo terms.
Newbies can also use different poker software to enhance their gaming experience and increase their odds of winning.
Full List of Poker Game
- Texas Hold’em
- Omaha Hi-Low
- Crazy Pineapple
- Iron Cross
- Chinese Poker
- Seven Card Stud
- Three Card Poker
- Jacks or Better
- Cincinnati Poker
- Russian Poker
- Deuces Wild
- Tens or Better
- Aces and Faces
- Joker Poker
- Position Poker
- Five-O Poker
- High Chicago
- Low Chicago
- 2-7 Triple Draw
- Five Card Draw
- Follow the Queen
- 2 and 22
Frequently asked questions
How many kinds of poker are there?
There is no definite number to put here. As you can see in our article above, there are tons of poker variants to choose from. You can even compare poker sites at BestPoker at any time.
What is the most common poker game?
Some variants are more popular than others, so arguably the most played poker game in the world is Texas Hold’em.
What are some 5-card poker games?
Some of the most popular 5-card games include Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Five-Card Draw, and High-Low Chicago.
What games can you play with poker cards?
There are tons of poker variants that you can play with poker cards. Feel free to choose one of our recommended BestPoker.com variants to start your gaming journey.
What are some popular poker games?
It is difficult to say which one is the most popular poker game. However, players tend to love all Hold’em variants, alongside Omaha Hi-Low, Russian Poker, Seven-Card Stud, and plenty of others.
What is the easiest poker card game for beginners?
There are plenty of poker games newbies can try out. However, we at BestPoker think that No-Limit Hold’em is a good place to start your gaming adventure.